Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Weird day

Today was my birthday and it was weird. Overall,, it was really quite a good day but for some reason,, I felt as though I was watching it from the outside looking in.
Do you ever have days like that? Its like I was watching my own life from a different perspective. Not "really",, I am not totally crazy, but its a sort of sensation a person gets.

I have to say that it was such a nice day, in that I felt a lot of love from the folks I hold dear. As we get older we realize that gifts aren't the important part as much as acknowledgement. I felt really acknowledged today and I so thank my family and friends for that. I did get some neat things too. One of which I am wearing now. A kewl night gown with pink elephants on it. Nice! I also scored a giant bottle of pickles. My favorite!
Now I sit here and it just seemed so surreal.
My poor old dog Hailey, who will be 15 in two months, is having a hard day. She could hardly stand tonight. I syringed some water to her and petted her for a long time. After that she felt better and walked all about and went to the water bucket and drank a bunch. I think she needed her own acknowledgement, to be honest. She really perked up after that. I know that in the hustle and bustle of things that I don't spend a lot of time with her,, actually hardly any time, since she sleeps so much. As I was standing there thinking about her tonight. I could see how she was just feeling so down. I spent 10 minutes telling her how much she meant to me and syringing her water through an AI tube (all you dog breeders out there know), I petted her head like I haven't done in a long time. She gave me such a look of thanks and then it was like she was brand new.
I think animals and humans alike just need acknowledgement sometimes to make it over a hill in life. I know I certainly do,, and Hailey sure did. From now on,, I hope to help acknowledge the folks around me more.

No comments: